Sunday, September 14, 2014

Pig's Ass Rub

Depending on where you live (and possibly the political leanings of your grocer), this rub may have a different name.
I'll be honest. I bought this rub because it was called "Pig's Ass." It's hard to ignore a label like that, at least it is for me.
If you can't find Pig's Ass, look for the logo. What's in the bottle hasn't changed.
This is a Memphis-style rub, so it is very pepper and cumin-heavy; like knock you down kind of heavy.
This isn't an amateur rub. It has an aggressive flavor profile. You're either going to love it or hate it.
Or you could be like me and; meh ... I don't care for this rub on smoked pork, but my background is in Kansas City-style Q.
My test smoke was on an ass ... I mean butt. I rubbed the ribs liberally and let rest overnight. In all the rubbed butt rested for a little more than 12 hours. The butt smoked for 8 hours over hickory. The end result was less than spectacular.
You'd think something called Pig's Ass would be choice No. 1 on pork, and it probably is for some people. But it's not for me.
On my list it would be closer to last. It's more of a personal flavor and expectations kind of thing (again, Memphis-style vs. KC-style), but that doesn't mean I don't like it. I love it.
I gave the rub a few second chances, just not on a butt. It's awesome on french fries.
On grilled pork chops, it's great.
On smoked chicken wings. Wow.
It's a great and more flavorful substitute for salt on just about anything.
But by far my favorite use for Pig's Ass: fried chicken.
It has a very complex flavor profile and it is rich, peppery and salty. If you mix a liberal dose with flour, you wind up with some KFC-worthy fried chicken.
Also, its low sugar content doesn't easily burn in the grease.
The first time I smelled this rub, the first thing that popped into my mind was fried chicken. Maybe they should repackage this stuff as "Chicken's Ass."

MY RATING:

OFFICIAL RUB REVIEW: A good Memphis-style rub but doesn't produce spectacular BBQ. If this was a fried chicken seasoning, I would give it 11 stars. 

WHY DIDN'T IT GET 5 STARS? Something called "Pig's Ass" should be other-worldly on pork. This under-delivers. It also clumps-up in the bottle, which is a huge pain in the Pig's Ass.

BANG FOR THE BUCK: You can find a 6.5 ounce bottle of this rub for $6 or less, which makes it a good value. It's definitely worth a try. You can do way worse for $6 but you can do better, too. 









No comments:

Post a Comment