Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bad Byron's Butt Rub

Bad Byron's Butt Rub may be the most widely available commercial barbecue rub, so it stands to reason that if you've not tried it, it should be pretty easy to get your hands on some.
Most prevalent to the nose are serious hints of garlic and pepper. Taste-wise, it's a lot saltier than I generally prefer my rub, and it's easy to over-do it.
There's no sugar in the rub, so it's more of a Memphis-style rub that what you are likely prepared for.
I don't have a test smoke review for you because I have used this stuff for years, and I've used it on practically every cut of meat imaginable.
With that said, this wouldn't be on a list of 100 things I would put on a brisket, and it probably wouldn't make the top 90 on a pork butt or ribs.
Butt Rub tends to lose a lot of its potency over an extended cook. This isn't unique; all rubs do. But as pronounced as the pepper and heat are right out of the bottle, they almost vaporize on the smoker.
Personally, I don't care for it as a barbecue rub, but it's not bad as a seasoning salt or on cuts of meat that don't require a long cook time; like chicken wings or pork chops. It's great on salmon.
Similar to my previous review of Pig's Ass, I use Bad Byron's on fries, baked potatoes and in hamburger meat. It's also a key ingredient in my chili.
Pig's Ass and Butt Rub share a remarkably similar flavor profile, but Butt Rub has heavier tones of paprika.
I've almost always got some Bad Byron's on-hand, but I don't give it any consideration for my barbecue.

MY RATING:

WHY DIDN'T IT GET 5 STARS: Way too salty. Produces a really middle of the road, black pepper heavy flavor on barbecue and loses flavor too quickly. If this was a seasoning salt, I would score it much higher.

BANG FOR THE BUCK: You can get a 4 ounce bottle for around $5, which makes it a reasonable value considering how versatile it is.





1 comment:

  1. I just love the built in shower niche. The tile is marazzi brand from home depot with a rock pebble accent stripe used around the soap niche. Killer Hogs BBQ Rub

    ReplyDelete